Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Naff47, May 27, 2013.

1. Naff47 macrumors newbie

My friend has asked me to take a look at his had drive for him. I know enough about computers to understand that it is quite possible that the connection on my friends hard drive is probably broken. I've never had to replace the connection on a hard drive before so even though I doubt it can be done, I just wanted to know for sure. Plus I have only ever mainly worked with Sata but this hard drive is a Samsung M2 Portable 3 1tb usb 3.0 device.

He has a lot of memories on his HDD so if I can somehow with the knowledge of someone here change the connection (just worth a shot I think) then that will be awesome!

Sorry by the way for the fact that this is not Apple hardware, I just didn't know where else to turn for help.

Many thanks in advance.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

It's probably not the connection, as the connector is soldered directly onto the board in most if not all sata enclosures. The easiest way to determine what is broken is to take the hard drive out of the case and put it into another. USB 3 cases are available for very little money. Also try a differnt cable.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Just curious how the drive quit working. Was it damaged in transportation? Because, as indicated on page three of the user manual,

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 9.18.45 AM.jpg

...you should not attempt to transport this drive up a lady's skirt. :D

4. rivettmj macrumors member

Brings whole new meaning to "take this data and stick it where the sun don't shine"!

On topic question: what does the drive do when you plug it in? (does it make any clicking sounds, does it spin up, etc)