hard drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by giorgos7777777, May 26, 2014.

1. giorgos7777777 macrumors newbie

Hello i have a question about which hard druve us better.i have a macbook air 2013 and i want to buy an external hard drive to run games directly from there.which is faster and better an ssd one or an hdd with thunderbolt??.thank you very much!!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

As a transport, Thunderbolt is faster than USB3. As a device an SSD should always have faster read/write times compared to a spinning HD. Therefore a Thunderbolt based SSD should be faster that a USB3 based HD.

The negative to a Thunderbolt SSD is the cost is likely much higher per GB of space than a than a USB 3 based HD. So it is a question of performance vs. budget.

http://www.newegg.com/External-SSDs/SubCategory/ID-2022

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

re:
    [[ Therefore a Thunderbolt based SSD should be faster that a USB3 based HD. ]]

Not necessarily so.

Get the -right- USB3 enclosure or dock and for all practical purposes, USB3 speeds will be equal or near-equal to that of thunderbolt.

Will cost a lot less, as well.

Aside: some months' back, barefeats.com tested one USB3 enclosure and found it to be FASTER THAN thunderbolt speeds. Not a great difference, but a difference nonetheless...

4. giorgos7777777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much.onother one if i buy an ssd my games will run fast without problem??