Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrios25, Oct 14, 2014.

1. mrios25 macrumors newbie

I have an early 2008 17in MacBook Pro which recently stopped turning on for me. I press the power button and the fans make a quick sound then shut off. Tried everything. So I'm looking to buy a newer Macbook Pro. What I wanna know is, if I remove the old hard drive (I'm pretty confident it still works) from the dead Macbook, how can I get all of that data into my new macbook? I was thinking of just taking out the new hard drive and installing the old one but would that work and would that be worth doing or what could I do? I have thousands of photos and all of my iTunes music there and would hate to just not have access to that anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Gav Mack, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Will it fire up in target mode? Hold t down while powering up, but sounds like it's not going to happen in your case.

If not its just a case of unscrewing all the side, and bottom screws including the two torx screws under the metal flap and the fiddly ones near the front of the battery compartment front edge, then prising the top lid off and two more that hold the hard drive in a cage.

Then plug the hard drive into a usb 3.0 enclosure and when you fire up the new MacBook pro select system migration assistant which will copy off all your data onto the new Mac.

USB 3.0 hdd Enclosure, 00 Philips, torx driver and ideally spudgers to prise the lid off, the ifixit guide on the web and patience all that is required. If you want to screw everything back into place and sell it for spares on eBay it may be better getting an engineer or someone with tech knowledge to do it for you.

3. mrios25 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Thought so with powering off that quickly.

Should do the job though with these push fit types you will need a hex driver to get the screws out the hard drive which hold the grommets which secure it in the mbp so it goes in the case properly. I have actually destroyed 3 enclosures, usb 2.0, FireWire and usb 3.0 and have only the bare circuit board itself to save time as its my job :D

5. mrios25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I'll post an update when I get everything done.