hard drive question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by swope1221, Feb 14, 2015.

1. swope1221, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

swope1221 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to the mac world so I was hoping someone could offer some help. I purchased brand new from Best Buy two iMacs. One in December and one in early Feb. Same exact one, 21.5 imac 2.7 ghz 8 gb ram, 1 TB hard drive.

Only thing I did out of the box was turn on and install apps. Both are running latest Yosemite.

The problem is the newest one, it's hard drive shows up differently than the one from December in disk utility. I'm going to post some shots to show.

As you can see, the first one, where it says Macintosh HD twice, only has two choices available under hard disk in disk utility and the second one where it says 1 TB Apple HDD has five. Is there a way to make the first hard drive have the same options as the second one?

Attached Files:

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

That's interesting they defaulted your new one with a Logical volume group.

Does that affect your usage or it's just for the sake of it?

I believe you would have to format and reinstall OS X to make it a standard partition.

3. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi illusion, thanks for your response. It doesn't affect my storage, it was just something I noticed while comparing the two imacs, so for kicks and giggles. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't messed up as I just it is only one week old. I probably wouldn't even use the two options that are missing on my imac, raid and partition as I use those on my NAS.

If it's something that I would have to erase the HDD and reinstall the osx I'll leave well enough alone unless you think its something I should do.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use diskutil corestorage revert to revert it back to a non CoreStorage volume.

No data will be lost.

5. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

YJ, is this a terminal command or an app? Again sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm a Mac newbie.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's a terminal command.

In most cases, the command is diskutil corestorage revert /dev/disk1

7. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

YJ, thanks soooo much. I googled it before you had a chance to respond, found out what you had posted, ran the command, and now both Disk Utility screens are the same. It got rid of the logical volume group and now it matches the other. I believe the article I found said it converts from corestorage back to hfs+.