Hard Drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a bad drive in my Quad G5 - its a 500 Gig SATA-150. I was thinking its going to be ok to just get a SATA-II 1 TB drive to replace it, but I just wanted to get a sanity check and see if this is going to work.

Something like this: WD Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive and if anyone has any recomendations, that would be great too. I plan on buying a new MacPro when the next version comes out, so dropping $120 on this isn't a problem.

Thanks,

D

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've not had much luck with WD 3.5" drives. I buy Samsung drives whenever possible. I used to think Seagate was good, too, but with their major problems with the 7200.11 series, I'm not too sure about them anymore.

3. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

the Western Digital caviar Black drives are top notch and have those for back ups and theyre solid performers.

i have a bunch of drives...500GB seagate, 1TB Samsung 1TB Hitachi and a bunch of 500GB & 750GB Western Digitals.

my favorites have to be the hitachi and westerndigitals.

seagates...meh...samsung, theyre good, the spinpoint F1's are solid though.

Id recommend the Caviar Black 1TB, Hitachi Desktar HDS721010KLA330 or the Samsung Spinpoint F1

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Have 3 Seagates in my MacPro & have had absolutely NO problems.

5. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I've got 2 Seagates in my G5 quad, 3 Seagates in my G4 dual, and a Seagate in my PC laptop. They are solid performers.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

1. Been (still) using WD Raptors for years...neveranottaproblemo

2. Have had Seagates, IBM, Samsung over the years....SAB

3. STILL using the Maxtor that came installed in my smurfbox in '99....solid from day 1 thru more changes/upgrades/machines than I can count.......

bottom line.....get whichever one does what you need it to do and shop around for the best price :)