Hard Drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fireshot91, Jul 17, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Is there a way to physically wipe a hard drive (Not a SSD, or Flash drive or anything), but still have it be in working condition.

Like, run a magnet over it, and then restore it to a (workable) format in any OS?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You could always use a program to format it that guarantees to completely wipe everything off of it. Here's an example. Send me a message on AIM for more info. ;)

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Why do you want to physically wipe it? Format and zero out a disc would do the same thing easier.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

The problem with just doing that is it does actually leave recoverable files on the hard drive, even completely formatting and doing a reinstall. He may be an ex-FBI member looking to keep all his secret spy data from going into the wrong hands.

Man, I watch too much Burn Notice. :p

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

I know, but if you zero out the disc like a hundred times then there is nothing left. Besides taking a flame torch to it, zeroing it out a lot is probably the best way to rid yourself of data completely.

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just throwing out all possible situations (yes, very extreme, but who knows :rolleyes:)

I personally just format my hard drives prior to selling a computer. ;)

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you would think that a FBI member would know a bit more about securely deleting their HDs then that, zero'ing out is the 2nd best way (apart from torching it or throwing it into the sun). a 7 zero pass should be enough, however people can always get data back one way or another.

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

OS X has built-in 1, 7, or 35 pass zeroing. 7 is all that's necessary--35 is just wasting time.

I read about a device created for the military to wipe drives quickly. It was basically two very large magnets and a mechanism to move the drive past them. I don't think you can buy big enough magnets yourself, though, as it takes quite a lot of magnetic force to affect the data on a drive. Try holding a magnet up to a drive with data, and you will notice nothing happens. I don't know if the drives are left working after passing through the magnets.

If your data is really valuable, thermite is the only way to be sure.

9. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Well you could just use a swiffer duster.

On a serious note I agree zero out the hard drive. Also known as an unconditional format!

10. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

If you are really concerned about it, then buy a new drive and out it in the system. Drives are not that expensive.

11. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, I don't work for the FBI :p

I don't need to do anything, I was just curious :cool:.

That is all.