Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
California
I am about to purchase a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200 RPM Hybrid SSD HDD drive to replace my OEM Hitachi? 5400 320GB RPM hard drive.

I have a few questions.

Is it possible to just backup an image of the 320GB drive and place that image on the 500GB drive? How can I do this with only a Macbook Pro (Late 2008).

What software is necessary?

I also have a Windows 7 bootcamp partition, will this screw up anything in the process?

I want to do the swap from the two hard drives as seemlessly as possible.

Thanks.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
As posted above CCC will do the job fine for the main OS X partition, but it will not backup your Windows installed system. There is an application that does that, sorry, can't remember the name right now, perhaps a search on MRoogle will pop it up?
To back up your HD, you will need a cheap USB enclosure, install the new drive in the enclosure and connect it up. Use Disk Utility to partition the drive, to one partition, and run CCC to clone your old drive to the new one.
Then backup your windows partition (that "no name" application).
Then swap the drives and reboot.
If you have it run Disk Warrior or Disk Utility on the new drive while booted up from the old drive, just to be sure everything is OK, and you should be up and running in good time.

TrojanX

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Houston, Tx
If I just go purchase a HDD such as the Momentus, do I need to format it in HTS+ first before the external enclosure process.

BobbyCarbn

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Every time I migrate to a new system hard drive I use SuperDuper with great results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.