Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunshadow

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Kind of long explanation so please bear with me :)

So I just installed a larger hard drive in my macbook pro. As OSX was installing I decided to read reviews online (bought it in the store when I got the MBP). They're all really bad about using the drive in a MBP - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136589. I'm installing the application software now and the hd is spining a lot and vibrating the case and making a lot more noise.

I've read a few Seagate reviews and they're not much better for that size.

I want to install a huge hard drive because this is going to be my main computer for at least 8 months while I'm working away from home. Normally I have a desktop w/ a huge hard drive so I don't care what's on my laptop.

Anyway, based on these reviews and how the drive has been feeling in the case, I think I might re-evaluate putting a larger drive in, and instead go with an external. I can fit all my photos and music on a 250, but I couldn't fit everything I store on my desktop on a 250.

So my first question is, is there a good, reliable 500gb or larger 5400rpm replacement hard drive for the mbp, that a lot of people like?

And then the main question:

I have a lot of large video files on my Windows box that are over 4gb, which is the FAT32 limit. When I transferred them from my old computer I had to rar them to smaller files and then un-rar them. This is quite annoying.

If I'm gonna have an external drive, I'd like one that can be used on both windows and mac and support 4gb+ files.

Here's what I see are my options:

I know that NTFS is only readable unless you have the Macfuse program, but with that I don't know how the performance is on read/write - any ideas on that?

What about NTFS formatting and then reading as an external drive in bootcamp (which I'm assuming is FAT32 formatted) and then just copying to the mac partition? I'm not sure if that would be enough to get around the 4gb limit? But then I'd have to copy everything I want to the drive through bootcamp.

I know you can store some software on the windows computer to allow it to read/write HFS formatted drives, but again, I don't know how the performance is. For the next 8 months anyway that would be a one-time concern.

I can try to make sure my captures come in at under 4gb but that's gonna get harder when I start doing HD video editing.

If dual partitioning of an external is possible (don't see why it wouldn't be but I have not tried it...), I could always have a FAT32 and NTFS partition if read/write on FAT32 is significantly faster.

Any other suggestions?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
FAT32
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • No individual file larger than 4GB.
NTFS
HFS
  • Read/Write HFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write HFS from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer

sunshadow

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Which option provides the best performance and allows for files bigger than 4gb on mac and windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.