Hard Drive Questions: Which Configuration is better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rocknpop, Nov 29, 2016.

1. rocknpop macrumors member

Hi guys,
    Situation:
    I have a MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012, 15 inch; 2.6 GHz i7, 8GB RAM)
    I have an internal 3G OWC SSD right now (max write read speeds of around 240 MBps), and an external OWC
    I mainly use the laptop to record music with ProTools 12 (hence the need for fast read/write speeds)
    I'd like to
    1) increase the read/write speeds from ~240mbps to ~500mbps (planning on buying OWC's 6G SSD)
    2) increase the hard drive memory with a fast read/write drive​

Hardware Considered
    OWC 6G in the main drive
    OWC 3G as a secondary drive

Possible Solutions
    1) UBS 3.0: Use the USB 3.0 connection to connect to the 6G SSD, but I would prefer not to use the USB drive for an external drive.
    2) SATA: Install 6G SSD in main drive, install 3G in optical SATA connection drive, however, the optical drive calls out a maximum negotiated speed of half the main drive (1.5GB vs. 3.0). If that is the case, the max speed I could get would be 130-145 MB/s using SATA?
    3) FireWire 800: Same as #1, but FW800 instead on the connection

My hunch tells me the SATA connection is faster, but the negotiated speed is keeping me from doing this. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

negotiated is the speed of the device it's connected to. your current system drive is SATA 2 (3Gb) and your DVD burner is SATA 1 (1.5Gb). if you replace either with a SATA 3 device it will negotiate at 6Gb.

3. rocknpop thread starter macrumors member