Hard drive READ ONLY after Mavericks installation : HELP!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pprior, Jan 10, 2014.

1. pprior macrumors 65816

I have a mac pro 3.1, SSD boot drive (Samsung 840 pro), and multiple other drives are attached via areca 1880 card.

I recently flashed my 680GTX to make it boot compatible and also flashed my SSD to latest firmware.

After all this, I upgraded to mavericks.

After upgrading, I am having VERY slow performance with frequent freezes and beachballs.

When I check my Macintosh Hard drive, it lists system as read/write but everyone else as read only. And there is no listing for me as user.

On every other hard drive it lists "name(me)" as read/write access.

Is there something I can do to fix this - somehow it appears during the installation I've lost control of my hard drive.

I tried clicking the plus and adding myself as read/write but then it says "custom access" above which is different than the other hard drives and I don't think that's right.

Very frustrated right now, I'm really hoping someone can help me out.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Was this a clean install or an upgrade?

Sounds like the permissions got messed up with the upgrade and your current account is different then your old account

3. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

It was an upgrade.

I did repair permissions multiple times (before the upgrade, and then after).

The I'm logging in with the same name and password as before, but I have no access to the boot drive (at least under information it is not listed as a user)

4. davidlv, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

davidlv macrumors 65816

Boot up with the option key held down, select the Recovery Partition with the Tab key, hit enter.
    After the computer boots up it should show a Menu, slect Disk Utility and run repair permissions on the problematic drive.
    After that finished, pull down the Utilities Menu from the top menu bar, choose Terminal
    In the terminal window, type "resetpassword" one word, no quotes. Don't worry you are not going to reset the password.
    That command should pop up a dialogue box, with "Reset User permissions" (or something similar" at the the bottom.
    Run that option to reset the User's Home folder permissions (the normal repair permissions function in Disk Utility ignores the home folder).
    Reboot to the problem drive. Fixed? Yes, great! No, do the following:

Reboot into single user mode (hold Command+S while booting until it switches to text mode)
    At the single user prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy
    This checks the filesystem integrity
    Then type: /sbin/mount -wu /
    This mounts the root filesystem as read/writable.
    Next type: /bin/chmod 1775 /
    This will correct the permissions for your / directory
    Type: /bin/sync
    This will make sure the change is written to the filesystem

If that doesn't work, try this;
    Boot from the problem disk, in Terminal type
    sudo chown root:admin /
    (this will ask for your password)
    Whew, did anything work there?:eek::apple::eek:

5. pprior, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

mistake...working on fixing with your suggestions now

6. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I ended up going through all the steps you suggested

I now have ?? fixed the problem. Please see below. Before this problems started I'm 99.9% sure that both drives had the same sharing/permissions info. Now it says I can read and write, but it doesn't list me on the macintosh hard drive, but if it's working I guess it doesn't matter.

thank you so much for the suggestions and any f/u.

Attached Files:

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

You should be able to add yourself to the list (using the + button) and give yourself read/write privileges. I am not sure that is necessary as OS X likes to give the user rights only to the Home folder. Wait and see if everything is working first?
    After all that hassle, it might be advisable to boot up again from the recovery partition and run Disk Utility's Repair Permissions and Repair disk on both disks again.
    If you have Disk Warrior running that on both disks is even better than DU.
    Glad you got everything sorted out.