Hard Drive Recommendations for Dual G5 PowerMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Acronyc, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I recently saved a dual 1.8 G5 PowerMac from certain destruction, and thought I would tinker with it a bit just for fun. I'm relatively new to Mac (2010) so never really used a PPC Mac. The machine is in pretty good shape, but came with nothing except the tower, including no hard drive. I have a copy of Leopard lying around but not any 3.5-inch drives.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any hard drives? Also, do the 2.5 to 3.5-inch drive converters work in this machine? If so, I was thinking of putting a small 2.5-inch SATA 2 SSD in for the OS and a larger 2.5-inch for everything else.

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

If you want to use a SSD, a IcyDock 2.5>3.5 adapter will work fine. Some SATA III drives report problems, but any SATA II drives you should be fine using.

SSDs are the way to go, for a period of time I had a 64GB Kingston SSDNow drive in a IcyDock that worked great. Right now I have a RAID0 setup on 2x 160GB western digitals which makes for a speedy machine! The biggest drive I have used in my G5 was a 500GB WD Enterprise storage, nothing bigger. When I can finally get a 1TB+ drive I'll have to try it in a PPC Mac!

3. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much for the recommendations, I ordered the IcyDock adapter and will first try it with a 160GB 2.5-inch Toshiba drive I have and see how it works. Plan to upgrade the RAM as well as it only has 1GB. Looking forward to messing around with a PPC Mac for a bit!

4. minxie59 macrumors newbie

minxie59

i am looking at putting a WD red 3TB into my G5 2.7, OSX 10.5.8, as a non-boot/storage only 2nd drive. any pros/conz? how about jumper requirements? would appreciate any advice, it seems WD is shtum on the subject.