Hard Drive Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xplnusa, Jun 14, 2015.

1. xplnusa macrumors regular

My HDD in my 13 - inch Early 2011 MBP is a 500GB and its almost full. What recommendations would you guys have for a replacement?

I'm thinking 1-2TB. I'm okay with a Hybrid but honestly don't have a problem with a good old HDD either.

I can do the physical work to swap out the HDD's (I did it when Apple sent me a warranty replacement) but have no clue what it is that i need to order!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi,

I would recommend a Western Digital Blue. I've used these drives in both notebooks and desktops and they have worked out very well for me.

I hope this helps.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should learn to manage your media better and use external storage, and throw in a Crucial BX100 SSD inside to speed the old girl up.

4. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

That may be how you prefer to use your machine, its not how I prefer to use mine. I find it a pain in the ass to have to drag an external HDD with me when I go camping or on a road trip and want to watch a movie. I have no problem managing my media thank you. I have it set up how I like to use it. You have your needs and wants and I have mine.

Thanks for the bump on my post though.

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

*rolls eyes*

6. xplnusa thread starter macrumors regular

This helped me a lot, thank you very much!

7. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

That's the drive I currently have in my mid-2010 MacBook. Also if you've got the money I recommend looking at an SSD; I have a 1 TB SSD in my cMBP and I've got both improved speed and loads of storage space as a result.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I use the WD Scorpio Blue 1 TB (WD10JPVT) in my Early-2011 17" MBP. No problems in the past years (I have Time Machine backups). It is fast enough because OS X uses the RAM file cache, if necessary. This machine has also 16 GB RAM. I read somewhere that some newer WD Scorpio Blue 1 TB drives are slower than my version, the WD10JPVT.

Full review:
    http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_scorpio_blue_1tb_review_wd10jpvt

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I like having onboard storage too, I'd recommend the HGST 7200rpm 1TB drive, I have one in mine and it is noticeably faster than a 5400rpm. Just watch the thickness on some of the cheaper big capacity drives, I started with a Seagate 1TB and the bottom wouldn't quite seat properly.

Great thing about the cMBP is you can tune the storage to suit, I currently have 1.5TB with a 512GB SSD as well as the 1TB HDD...

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Would that be an affiliate link then?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: that's MR's affiliate link.

B

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Cool - never noticed that before :)

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not sure how I achieved this. I just used a standard url from Amazon.

What exactly changed as opposed to just normally linking something?

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: We rewrite URLs posted to Amazon and select others with a code that will generate revenue for the site when the link is visited or bought from. There's another part of it that handles rewriting the link to point to local versions of Amazon in countries around the world since we have a worldwide audience.

B

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Oh wonderful, was just curious. Thank you for the reply.

16. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Some more off-topic stuff: The international amazon stores show very often "XYZ not found" error, because the product is not available in the target country. If you want to avoid that, i.e. if you want to use your original link select the URL, copy it, click the link icon in the rich text editor and use the copied URL as the target URL. This disables the georiot redirection, AFAIR.

If you are sure that the product is available via amazon.com, then use the normal copy & paste commands for your links. This helps MR, IIRC.

Just FYI. :)