Hard drive recommendations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kiddk1, Oct 30, 2014.

1. kiddk1 macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I am looking to upgrade my HD on my macbook pro (2012 model), I currently have a 750gb and it is nearly full. Any recommendations for a 1.5 or 2tb HD that is reliable? also I have time machine running, can I clone or install that way??? Thank you

2. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

thought I was in the wrong forum per the last post but it looks like I am in the right place

3. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

If you want a new lease of life with very good performance on your mbp, get an SSD (Crucial MX100 256/512GB). For data, use external storage.

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Put an SSD (MX100 is good) in the main slot and then swap out your optical drive with a caddy and a hybrid drive. You'll have lots of storage and a fast machine too!

5. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

I have thought about going the SSD route but I want one drive because I use my optical drive therefore I am looking for sata internal
    Thank you

6. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Do you really need to carry around 1TB+ of files everywhere you go?

Because you're giving up a major performance improvement that can be gained from moving to an SSD. These days a 500GB SSD like the MX100 is about $200 and for those times where you really need that extra 1TB of files, you can carry a small USB drive.

Obviously if you are using your MBP to model a VMware data centre with multiple virtual machines and perhaps a 500GB or 1TB internal SSD isn't enough, then you probably want those VM's installed internally and not on USB.

7. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do need to carry around all those files, I am a special education teacher and all of my schoolwork is on that laptop so I do need the room and I cannot afford $500 for a 1 TB SSD

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just grab this WD drive and pop it in there.

Then option key boot to your TM disk and you will see a recovery screen. From there launch Disk Util and in the erase tab format the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click restore and follow the prompts.

That will put the OS and all your apps and data on the new drive.

Last step is to shutdown and disconnect the TM disk and restart, then go to System Prefs and in the Startup Disk pane select the new drive as the boot disk.

That should fix you up.

9. kiddk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much
    I ended up getting the samsung spinpoint 1tb due to finances at 58 shipped from newegg
    Thank you for the advice on set up