Hard drive recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by camhabib, Jun 7, 2008.

1. camhabib macrumors regular

Looked at barefeats, Tom's Hardware, and several other sites. It seems the general consensus is that the Samsung Spinpoint F1 and the WD 640GB SE16 drives are among the two best, with the new WD VelociRaptor beating out both of them. I am about to order a 6GB RAM upgrade from OWC, as well as a few drives and was wondering what people's opinions were on drive configs. I was just going to order 3 of the 640GB SE16's and RAID0 them together, and use the stock 500GB in the MP as a boot drive. Would it be better to just order 4 of the WD's and keep the 500GB stock as a spare? I checked and couldn't really find too much information on comparisons between a stock 500GB MP drive and something like a 640GB SE16.

2. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

I bought 3 WD640s and love them. i use one as system drive and RAID0 the other 2, may get a 3rd for the RAID0 if i can sneak it past the wife. i backed up some stuff to the stock 320 and took it out and stuck it in a drawer, booting from the WD640.

When i installed them i had no problems at all, they work great. i also got them from OWC, no issue there either, arrived in 3 days.

3. big dainjerus macrumors regular

4. camhabib thread starter macrumors regular

So the question now becomes should I:
    A) buy three and RAID0 them all together using the stock 500 as the boot
    B) buy three and RAID0 two of them together using the third as the boot and the stock as backup / extra storage
    C) buy four and toss / sell the stock

5. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

i think A or C would work fine. the more drives you RAID the faster the drive will be, so 3 drives will be faster than 2 drives.

remember to backup your raid0 cause there ain't no redundancy with raid0.