Hard Drive Recovery company suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kansast, Aug 10, 2008.

1. kansast macrumors member

kansast

Can anyone suggest one of those Hard Drive recovery companies .. the kind that will attempt to retrieve information off of a DEAD drive.

I made a huge mistake.. had an external Western Digital firewire drive.. which among other things.. I stored my entire iPhoto photo gallery.. which had several thousand photos and original artwork.. all of which means a whole lot to me.. It also stored some 40+GB of music and my itunes library.. fortunately for me my son had recently asked for some music, and I took the opportunity to make a backup of ALL my music.. but didn't back up the photos..

I've looked around, I see there are some companies which say they provide the services I am looking for.. but I'm hoping to find some suggestions from folks who have used such companies, or know of such second hand from friends or businesses..

KansasT

2. nutman macrumors regular

i used data rescue 2 recently after losing my entire aperture library. similar situation. but just as a warning, because data rescue programs recover the files in bits and pieces, you will loose the names to the pictures and some of the pictures will not be fully recovered. i had a few pictures that i had to delete because the bottom was just solid grey. good luck.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When you say DEAD, do you mean one that will not spin up to speed?

Or do you mean one that spins, but you cannot access your data?

If the later, and you have access to a PC, I would strongly suggest SpinRite.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If the drive spins up but just isn't being read try DiskWarrior.

Lethal

5. kansast thread starter macrumors member

kansast

yeah, the drive is dead.. does not spin.. not recognized by the computer at all.
    Looking for some last ditch efforts.. one of those companies that claims to be able to retrieve information anyways.. they all advertise with these pictures with the guys in white lab coats working these "clean" rooms etc..

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on one of those type companies.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seagate Services! Nice but expensive (do absorb what I mean by expensive)