Hard drive recovery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakav001, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jakav001 macrumors newbie

So, here is what happened. I am really stupid. Like, really really stupid.

So I have an SSD in my hard drive bay and an HDD in my optical bay with a bracket. System/Apps on the SSD, everything else - HDD.

Last night I tried dual booting linux and deleted everything on both drives by accident. Yeah. I had the SSD backed up so I can boot to OSX but since my entire home folder is now missing, I can only log onto the Guest account.

Am I going to have to reinstall Mountain Lion from the recovery partition or is there a way to restore everything from the hard drive I erased? It is around 170gb.

Pleaaaase advise. If I have to start over, it's not the end of the world - my music and movies are backed up so thats whatever its mostly just various documents I've accumulated but I would very much like to get them back, if I can.

Thanks!!!
    Jack

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unless you have some sort of advanced data recovery knowledge and tools, once you deleted everything it is basically gone. There are companies that will recover the data for you but reinstalling is best if you had a backup.

3. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

4. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

you can recover all your data with programs like disk warrior,disk drill etc
    they cost money tho

5. Fairfax macrumors member

You will need to use data recovery software to bring up your lost files. Try using FileSavage, I have had great luck with that software. Other software I tried like data rescue was a waste of time, it was unable to locate what I found when using FileSavage.