hard drive reformatted itself

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by betsiv, Oct 5, 2008.

1. betsiv macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook that, when we turned it on this morning, came up to the Welcome screen and said we needed to register our new product. This is a macbook that has been used without any problems for over a year. It was showing no signs of problems and everything seemed fine when we shut down yesterday after inputting some grades for my elementary school students. There was no warning, no updates in the past couple of days, nothing unusual going on. Any ideas?

2. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Go ahead and fill out thje registration again. I've had it happen to me too.

But there was no damage to the hard disk.

By the way there's no way a hard disk can reformat itself.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You sure you didn't reinstall the OS in a drunk stupor the night before? :D

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like something happened to AppleSetupDone file. Your original account is still there. Just log back into it and delete the new account you created.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Wow, that's the first thing *I* do when in a drunken stupor. Very scary. :eek::D

6. betsiv thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. no drunken stupors! But thanks for the suggestion... :rolleyes:

Good to know nothing is lost. We'll give that a try and hope for the best. Thanks! Any ideas WHY it did it?

7. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I would do a backup of the important things and perform a complete hardware diagnostics from the discs that came with your mac. If everything is fine also repair the disk with disk utility.