Hard drive repair

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jesperhs, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jesperhs macrumors newbie

My harddrive doesn't work. Or at least it appears so.

I had this drive as my internal drive in my Macbook 13" and all of a sudden my computer wouldn't start up. I got this blue screen with the Mac logo and the 'clock' going round in a circle.

I then changed the drive with a different one, and now my computer had no problem starting. It all worked.

The strange thing is, that the 'broken' drive actually works as an eksternal drive with a USB connection....?

How can this be? Can you fix an eksternal drive? Why wouldn't it work when being in my computer? Did something block it somehow?

Can anyone help?

- Jesper

2. California macrumors 68040

California

The drive is dying. They are mechanical devices, after all, with a certain amount of usage and then, they die. If you have any information on it that you need saved, get it off the drive now. Copy any important folders, etc. If it stilil has any warranty from Apple or another manufacturer, wipe it and send it back for replacement.

3. jesperhs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!

But it's brand new (3 months)? Can it really be dying?

What I hear you say is simply that's there's an error on it. I should simply send it back then?

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

OK, things break.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes it can.

That's why there is a MTBF for each drive. You expect a certain lifetime from a hard drive but there are exceptions.

6. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Sounds like it's dying to me as well...

By the way, eksternal is actually spelled external ;)

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Or, you could have messed up the operating system on the internal disk. Does it make strange sounds at all?

8. jesperhs thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it doesn't make sounds at all..? What do you mean with 'messed up the operating system'?

9. jesperhs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'm Danish ;-)

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

When I hard a hard drive fail, I could hear it tearing itself up whenever the computer was on. I wouldn't expect any drive to fail after 3 months (although its possible.)

Start your computer up from the DVD that came with your Mac and run the hardware test. To do this, hold down the D key while you start your computer. It should be able to pick up whether or not your have a hardware problem.