Hard Drive Replaced, MacBook now super slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sebisworld, Nov 15, 2010.

1. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Hello,
    my dad owns a 13 inch MacBook (2006) and his hard drive just died. I ordered a new one for him (Hitachi Travelstar 5K500.B 160GB, SATA II) and sent him instructions on how to replace the HD. I don't live close to him, otherwise I would have done it myself. He has since replaced the drive, assured me that he didn't change any jumpers, and restored his Mac from Time Machine. The MacBook now needs 15 full minutes until he can enter his password, and everything else seems to have slowed down as well. Do you guys have any ideas on what could have gone wrong?

Thanks!

Sebastian

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

So, to be clear, he did a clean install after swapping out the drive, then use MA to move things over? Did he repair permissions of the old drive before removing it?

3. sebisworld thread starter macrumors 6502

No, he restored the drive from a Time Machine backup, without doing an install first.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Is there a reason not to do a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner? This is what I've always done when upgrading a hard drive (repair permissions, then CCC).

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes. His original hard drive died. You cannot clone a time machine drive to an internal drive.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Doh! I missed that. I'd do a clean install of the OS from the Installer DVD then do Migration Assistant.

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Could be two factors, the 2006 doesn't support Sata II so it defaults to Sata I, also the fact that the drive is a 500GB 5400RPM drive in itself it is not fast.

I bought a WD 500GB Scorpio Blue 5400 RPM 16MB Cache and it is much slower then my Hitachi 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache, a huge diff, although I have a uMB 2009 which does support Sata II or 3.0GB speeds.