Hard Drive Replaced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davids8477, Feb 17, 2011.

1. davids8477, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

davids8477 macrumors 6502

I have been thinking hard about replacing my 2007 MBP with one of the new ones - or perhaps a refurb I5.

I did an analysis about what my reasons were - other than the joy of a new MAC - and decided the issues were 2 fold.

1. I was running out of space on the current 120gig HD and
    2. The speed of booting and opening apps etc was getting annoying.

So I thought I'd replace the HD.

Looked carefully at the SSD drives and I could not justify to myself the cost - especially as I need a larger than 120gig one.

Looked at the 7200rpm drives - good value and would definitely be faster.

Eventually I bought a Seagate Momentus XT which is a hybrid drive. read some not so good things on the forums, but forums tend to be populated with people who have had issues and are looking for solutions.

Made a clone of the MAC OS drive and used WINCLONE to do the same with the Bootcamp partition.
    Used the IFIXIT instructions for replacing the HD. Pretty simple if you are careful, but the TORX screw sizes mentioned are incorrect in a couple of places - actual sizes are smaller.

Installed the drive and re-cloned back the Mac OS and Bootcamp.

I then upgraded the firmware on the Momentus XT.

I have no comparative benchmarks.

However, the boot time in noticeably faster - I'd say at least 2x and loading apps is faster - fewer bounces.

At idle the HD temp is at 117F so that's pretty "cool"

It's early days yet, bit I'd say that this is a good upgrade.

I just timed it from the first chime to loading the OS, Firefox (with 3 tabs), Mail and Skype (logging in). Total time 1:05 - very pleased.

2. fysh3 macrumors newbie

I'm really happy with my MomentusXT 500GB too. Nippy, quiet and lots of space! :)

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It`s a good price/space compromise compared to current SSD`s.
    That said, the XT is quick wheras a true SSD is blistering in comparison however, as you said, a 500GB is prohibitively expensive for most people at the moment.

4. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Nice update. More RAM would also be a big gain assuming you are 2gb or less.
    I just updated my iMac to 1tb HD and 3gb RAM. So much faster in everyday use. :D
    Goes to show we do not need to always buy the latest stuff.

5. davids8477 thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently have 3gig ram - thinking of going to 4gig