Hard Drive Replacement Concern

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lowazzgolf, Apr 8, 2011.

1. lowazzgolf macrumors newbie

Hi, I am a long time reader, first time poster.

I have done some searching but I think my question will need someone who has experience with this.

I currently have an early 2008 13" MacBook (not pro) unibody aluminum from when they were first released.
    core2duo 2ghz 4gb ram if it makes a difference.

as soon as I bought it I replaced the HD with a scorpio blue 500gb, at the time they only came in 5400rpm 8mb cache.

I have TWO partitions on it, one is for the OS and other applications, the other is just for storage, both nearing max capacity.

now I want to upgrade to a WD Scorpio Black 750GB 7200rpm 16mb cache WD5000BEVT model.

I read that I can simply buy it, connect it via USB and use Carbon Copy Cloner then simply replace it internally and I should be set to go however I am concerned about:

1. will the partitions make it difficult for it to clone since they are different size drives and will I potentially run into any problems because of that?

2. I do not have the install disk with me and would not be able to get it so if any problem arises where I would need it, now is the time to know as I will abort this project if that is the case

thank you

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if you have a way of connecting it to a USB and running CC then it will be that easy.

also if you have partitions then carbon copy the partition that has the OS on it put the new drive in, connect the old drive the way you connect the new drive and copy your files over.