Hard drive replacement for LaCie d2 HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thomaskyhn, Oct 1, 2010.

1. thomaskyhn macrumors member

I have a LaCie hard drive with a broken disk – on the LaCie website it's called a 300GB LaCie d2 HD U2&FW&FW8 EXTREME 7200RPM 8MB.

The broken disk inside is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300 GB ST3300831A (not a SATA drive). Would it be possible to replace it with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS?

All advise appreciated!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use any 3.5" S-ATA HDD, up to 2TB currently.

3. thomaskyhn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply!

So – just to get it right before I order one – even though the old disk (according to the specifications listed on the Seagate website) has an Ultra ATA/100 interface, a drive with a SATA interface, such as the Barracuda 7200.12, should fit in the LaCie d2?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I have the same LaCie drive with the same capacity HDD and took the drive apart several months ago and the interface used was S-ATA, not P-ATA or U-ATA, thus I'm confused why you have such a model inside the drive. I bought my LaCie in early 2008 btw..

5. thomaskyhn thread starter macrumors member

Mine is older, from 2005.

I wrote LaCie but haven't heard from them yet. As I remember, it takes a while before they reply.

6. thomaskyhn thread starter macrumors member

I got two replies from LaCie now! But they're very reluctant to answer my question, which is to say, they didn't answer it at all.