Hard Drive Replacement Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisR01, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ChrisR01 macrumors newbie

I have mid 2010 Macbook Pro 15" currently with a 500 GB hard drive. I'm currently looking to upgrade my hard drive to at least to 1 TB or 1.5 TB with 7200rpm. I was looking at the 1 TB WD caviar black, 1 TB Seagate Barracuda, and lastly the 750 GB Seagate Momentus XT. I was looking for anybody's input and suggestions on these drive along with experience. Also has anybody heard any word on whether or not Seagate will come out with a 1 TB Hybrid hard drive?

Last question is there any hard drives that are 1.5 TB 7200RPM on the market that will fit internally into my 15" Macbook Pro??

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All platter-based hard drives are more or less the same. Buy the one with the best warranty for your size requirements and budget.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I hear couple problems with the WD 1TB.
    I went with Samsung Spinpoint 1TB.
    Its 5400rpm, but it is very stable.

4. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

Before upgrading, consider that the bigger the hard drive, the more chance it has of failing. So only upgrade to a size that you really need. If you just need 250gb more, go with the 750. You may want to consider an external drive for larger files or files you don't use often. The hybrid drives, since brand new, probably have a higher chance of failure. I don't believe there is a laptop sized 1.5tb hard drive that will fit a MBP (due to height restraints).

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

From what I'd observed in the past, it seems 7200 RPM HDD's in MBP's are more likely to fail than 5400 RPM HDD's, probably because they are rotating at a higher speed therefore at an increased chance of something becoming misaligned. Just something to consider...