Hard drive replacement on Macbook HELP !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xwingsct, Jun 1, 2007.

1. xwingsct macrumors member

I just ordered a new hard drive for my MacBook. It's Hitachi Model # HTS541616j9sa00. When I removed the old hard drive from my Macbook I notice there's 4 male connector pins the left hand side of the drive while the New Hitachi has none. I assume that must be the optional power connector.
    I installed the new drive and the Macbook is not recognizing it. When I boot up all I see on the screen is a folder with a question mark.
    Am I getting the wrong drive? Macbook does not support SATA power connector?

thanks.

2. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

which generation of macbook do you have? multiple reviewers on NewEgg say it works great with their macbooks, one specifically stating a Core Duo (the earlier macbooks).

sorry for the lack of an immediate answer, but perhaps with knowledge of which generation someone can help you better.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that drive should work without a problem. but if you have nothing installed on it, of course it can't boot. reinstall OS X from your discs, or clone from your old drive.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you copied/installed OS X onto the new drive, because it won't have anything on it to begin with.

5. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Sounds like there isn't an operating system installed on your new drive. Did you clone the original drive to the new drive before installing it? If you didn't, you'll need to start up your MB with the system disc that came with the MB and install the OS.

6. heatasmallhouse macrumors regular

oh geez. it was almost too simple so i didn't ask it.

Did you start the computer with the recovery DVD in the drive holding down the C key?

You need to format the drive and reinstall the operating system from the DVD.

You did that right?

7. xwingsct thread starter macrumors member

I kind of figure that it must be formatted first. I'm very new to MAC hope you guys have patience with me. Some question might sound stupid.
    I put the installation DVD in and I'm stuck at where it ask me the destination volume because it shows nothing like I don't have any hard drive at all.
    I'm able to go into profiler and it shows that my hard drive is there (that's a relief) at least I know that it's working.

How do I format the hard drive? with the installation disc.
    I thought that once I start installing it will give me the option to do that like XP. I want to install everying fresh since I didn't have anything I really want to save on my old drive.
    I have macbook with Intel chip dual core prcessor by the way.

8. xwingsct thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved.
    I monkey around and went into Disc utilities and erase the hard drive. Once I did that the hard drive showed up and it's now installing the operating system as we speak.

Thanks for you help and input guys.
    Have a great day.
    Mine will be once I got the OSX installed :)

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

glad you got it figured out. if you have any other questions just ask. its what we're here for. :)