Hard Drive Replacement Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dcreb, Mar 16, 2011.

1. dcreb macrumors newbie

I recently changed out my hard drive but I partitioned the new drive into two parts. I no longer need this partition but I don't want to take my new hard drive back out, reformat it, and then put the data back on... very time consuming! So I was wonder if I were to boot from my old hard drive (now enclosed externally) can you format the internal drive? Any better way of going about this?

Macbook 2.16ghz 4gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram v. 10.6.6

2. hsenor macrumors newbie

Disk Utility

You can use disk utility to delete the partition that does not have OS X on.

Open Disk Utility
    Select the hard drive with the two partitions on it.
    Open the Partitions tab.
    Select the partition you want to delete under Volume Scheme.
    Hit the "-" button at the bottom

Here is a video showing you what to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6yx4Kz4g8g

3. dcreb thread starter macrumors newbie

Disc Utility Does Not Work for me...

Disc Utility does not allow you to departition the drive that has your os on it. At least i don't have that option. You can add a partition but you can not delete it. My hard drive was partitioned before I put it in the computer. I should have clarified that. The computer does recognize the partition though.

Thanks

4. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Did you try booting from the osx install cd and running disk utility from there? I am not completely sure this would work but I think it may.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You should be able to click on the partition that you want to get rid of (ie. not the OS X partition) and then press the minus button at the bottom. Then you can just extend the OS X partition to take up the full drive.

6. dcreb thread starter macrumors newbie

nope still no go... I did a screen capture so that you could see that disc utility does not give me an option to do this....

see attachment

Attached Files:

7. hsenor macrumors newbie

Select

Did you select the partition labeled "Install" under Volume Scheme?

8. dcreb thread starter macrumors newbie

no option to do that... it selects as one partition

9. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

I feel like there are third party programs out there for mac that let you resize and active partition. I can't remember the name of any though. I'll do a little searching today and see if I come up with anything.

10. hsenor macrumors newbie