Hard drive replacement, really that easy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RDM, Dec 15, 2009.

1. RDM macrumors member

I have a 2002 PowerMac G4 Quicksilver model, dual 1MHz processor, M8667LL/A model, running OS X 10.4.6. I recently did the software update to 10.4.11 and the computer crashed hard, apparently a fan problem I got repaired recently had led to hard drive damage, going up to this level of updates was too much for it. I'm assuming I should replace the hard drive as it's still giving me weird issues (reloaded 10.4.6 but freezes still at times), it's a Seagate ST380021A from what I read off the unit, don't know if it's original, it's an 80GB.

Online surfing I find a ton of hard drives available, OWC's site shows replacement steps and it looks simple enough. Mind you I am VERY computer illiterate, I don't know terminology or the technical aspect of this thing, but I have installed RAM and a PCI card in it without issue. So, is basically any 80GB hard drive compatible, and it really does just plug in and mount to the case? Then, I just reload 10.4.6 again and then update to 10.4.11? Or am I missing something?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Get an IDE drive (any size you wish), and stuff it in, then load the OS from the installation disk (or a clone if you made one). Restore any backups you made.

Easy. :)

There's also the ability to use a SATA based drive, but you'd need an adapter (example).

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you can install ram & PCI cards, you CAN install a new HDD :)

Assuming your machine is still in a relatively stock configuration, the HDD is mounted along the bottom of the case, normally inside of a metal tray or "sled" of sorts. After you unplug the power connector and data cable, there should be 1 small phillips-head screw at the front of the sled, that fastens the sled to the bottom of the case. Remove that screw, and pull up & out on the sled, it should slip out easily.

The HDD should be mounted to the sled with 4 (or at least 2) small screws that hold it in place. Remove those screws and then the HDD, and replace with the new one. The just repeat in reverse the rest of what you did earlier.

Push the power button on your mac, and hold down the left mouse button during the early start up stage. this will cause the optical drive door to open, and you can insert your OS X disk, and the machine should boot up from it, and you can install the OS from there. (you can also insert the OS disk before you shut down to replace the HDD, then hold down the "c" key upon startup)

If you have any other questions or concerns, please post back here or pm me......

PS I have a QS too :) was an 867, but upped to 1.6Ghz !

4. RDM thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what I wanted to hear, sounds simple. The video I watched about replacement was stupid easy, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something unique about a Mac. I'll start scouring for a good price.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

IDE = parallel ATA

As one posters said, that machine requires an ATA drive. Most newer machines take SATA drives, so be sure you buy the right type. Some of the computers in the Quicksilver series had a limitation on the size of the drive, best to buy a 120GB drive, or smaller, as I know that will be OK in any case.
    One other thing to check is the pins on the drive, there are settings for Master, Slave and Cable. A single drive connected to the HD cable should have the pins set so the drive is the Master drive (usually the default setup when you buy a new drive). You can connect 2 drives, one as master and the other as slave, with the master drive at the end of the cable and the Slave drive connected to the middle connecter. Getting too complicated? That's OK, even a 120 GB drive is enough if you do not need to store many large video files or movies. I have a huge iTunes library and no movies, and I am using only 65GB.
    Good luck :cool::apple::cool:

6. RDM thread starter macrumors member

So I ended up buying a Western Digital 160GB ATA unit. Installation was as stated simple, requiring only a screwdriver. I had trouble figuring how to format the drive but got it handled through some research online from a spare computer and now am blazing again with no issues, it still gets pretty warm during long usage but both fans are running and it hasn't frozen or shutdown yet. I'm used to putting it in sleep mode when not in use and this one does it automatically now too, my old one would never force sleep even with the correct settings. That was probably another defect in the drive as well. Since mine is a 2002 model it recognizes the full 160GB, so I can now use iTunes fully without worrying about disk space. My fingers are crossed that I'm out of the woods for a bit and can rely on it again to work consistently.