hard drive replacement troubles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdawg911, Jan 28, 2010.

1. mdawg911 macrumors newbie

Today, my 500 gig western digital blue hard drive arrived for my 13 inch macbook pro. To transfer my information to it, I thought I would back up my original hard drive to an external using time machine. I was going to install and reformat my new drive using the install disc that came with my laptop. I opened up my computer, transfered the mounting screws, popped my drive into the drive bay, and screwed everything back in. I then attempted to boot from my disc by holding down the C key as it booted, but then it began to beep and all I could see was a black screen. I tried a few more times, making sure that the hard drive was secure, but it still wouldn't boot. And to make things worse, when I replaced my new drive with my original, my computer still wouldn't boot. Any help that anybody can give with getting my computer to boot, to finish installing, and then transfering would be greatly appreciated.

2. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

my bro just bought a seagate 500gb and we put it in his MBP 13. Took all but 5mins. All he did was power the MBP on and then just popped in the DVD and went from there. no issue with installing the OS and restoring from Time Machine.

i found this vid it might come in handy, especially the part where he restores the OS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uptvZsYd97U