Hard drive replacement with broken superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reauxjeaux, Feb 3, 2010.

1. reauxjeaux macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 Intel 13" Macbook and my hard drive just failed (I think). I have the folder-with-exclamation-mark screen going on and a little clicking noise inside the computer. The Apple support guy said it was probably my hard drive. So, I am very limited in funds and was hoping I could replace the hard drive myself. I have replaced its battery and upgraded the RAM... However, I don't have the OS X disc and even if I did, my superdrive has been broken for a long time and I don't have the money for that either... I have access to another Macbook of the same year and I have a USB external hard drive.
    SO my questions are:
    Is it possible for me to do this myself? If so how? Or is that a terrible idea? Thank you very much to anybody who can take the time to give me some advice.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If I were you, I'd spend $29 on Snow Leopard and then take the Superdrive from the other computer and put it in yours for the time being, just to install the OS fresh on the new HD.

3. reauxjeaux thread starter macrumors newbie

I totally would but that would mean taking apart my boyfriend's mom's macbook... which she's definitely not gonna be down for. What about if I had a firewire cable? Can I connect mine to her macbook and install the OS from hers?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yup, you can install OS X via target disk mode (firewire connection between the computers)...

Here's a guide from 2007 for Leopard: http://macamour.com/blog/2007/11/07/installing-os-x-via-the-target-disk-mode/ and another guide for Tiger: http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0914.html

I imagine it should be similar if not the same for whatever version you're running.

5. reauxjeaux thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks dudes!

Thanks to you who helped me! I got a new hard drive and snow leopard and a firewire cable all for about 140 bucks, and now my computer is back together and up and running better than ever! Despite the salesman at Mac Authority (where I bought snow leopard) who tried so hard to upsell me the ilife pack with this whole "well the one you're buying won't work" pitch...

6. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Call 800-APL-CARE.

Apple has since announced a Repair Extension Program for all 2006 MacBooks.

They'll replace your failed hard drive, and perhaps you could return the new drive you purchased. Hope this helps you save some $.