Hard drive replacement with software RAID question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by strausd, Aug 17, 2011.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

So our main MP system, 2006 2 dual-core 2.66GHz, is getting a flashing folder with a question mark when it boots every now and then. The hard drives have not been replaced for years and it seems like it is because the boot drive is failing, so obviously we need to replace it.

We also have 3 1TB drives in the other slots on a RAID 0 for holding all our footage. My question is what would be the best way to replace the hard drive without buying an external enclosure for the new drive and without messing up the RAID 0.

Would taking one of the drives out to make room for the new drive be OK while leaving in the other 2 drives? Or would it be best to take out all drives except the boot drive, put the new drive in slot 2, and boot from the SL disc to copy everything over using Disk Utility? My biggest concern is just not messing up the software RAID.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

1st make a backup of your RAID0 set. If you don't have this already, I am sorry but you need it. Shut down.
    Take out the 3 HDD's in the set and I usually number the trays (Just in case) may not be necessary but it's a good practice.
    Image you new HD and when done move new HD to boot slot. Re-slot your RAID0. Never had it not come back online but that is what the backup is for.

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Alright thanks for the advice. The biggest problem right now is that some of the footage on the RAID 0 isn't backed up. And those in charge of approving our purchases don't want to approve the suggested backup system until we actually get the system up and running without this problem. But I think that is ridiculous because the whole point of a backup is just in case it can't get back to working properly.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

If you haven't already fixed this, I'll just mention that I've had my four slots filled as follows:
    Bay 1 - OS / Programs
    Bay 2 - RAID0 disk 1 of 3
    Bay 3 - RAID0 disk 2 of 3
    Bay 4 - RAID0 disk 3 of 3
    RAID0 was software RAID.

I removed all three RAID0 disks, booted with only the OS disk, and messed about. Then shut down again, re-inserted all three RAID0 disks, and all was fine. I might have had to go into Disk Utility and mount it as I'm not sure it mounted automatically the first time, but it mounts automatically every time since then.

I would also say I'm astonished that you have what sounds like fairly important data on that RAID0 with no backup. You have huge balls! :)

5. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha I actually just started working there and I'm the one who suggested a backup, specifically with a Drobo.

Right now we are waiting for the new drive to be delivered. So hopefully it will be a smooth process when it arrives.

6. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Asinine situation

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's shocking to see how many companies do things like this from what I've seen (small in SMB's in particular). :rolleyes: :(

8. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

A couple more ideas:
    -could you borrow an external enclosure?
    -boot up another Mac Pro in FireWire target mode and place the new HD in there until the copy is made?

Loa