Hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MduMad, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MduMad macrumors newbie

Hi all.I just bought a second hand macbook pro 13 from my boss.Problem is it's got a 160gb hd and want to replace it with a 1Tb and the disk drive does not work.How can I install osx if the disk drive is not working . I'm new to the mac ecosystem so I have no idea on how to do it.Please help.Thank you

2. simsaladimbamba

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OP says the disk drive doesn't work. I read that as meaning the optical drive is bad.
    You can install OS X by booting to the installer from an external USB DVD drive.

4. simsaladimbamba

Thanks. I misread "disk drive" for an actual HDD (Hard Disk Drive), as the optical disc drive is a disc drive with a C.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Not everyone uses those conventions, or don't know what the conventions are.
    I try to read between the lines (mind-reading), and sometimes it helps, sometimes not…. :D

6. simsaladimbamba

Sometimes it also helps not to dance on too many weddings. But we'll see if the OP can work with an external USB drive.

I always made copies from CDs and DVDs via Disk Utility, thus in the event of failing ODD or just out of convenience I always could use the disk image, thus I always have a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DMG file I can clone onto a USB flash memory thumb drive (which I recently did) in case I have to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (which I recently had to).

Yeah, see that thing out there?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, I do the same with flash drives. Very handy to have, and more reliable to install from flash, than from optical disks. I've got one each for 10.5 to 10.9