Hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Oddyse, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Oddyse macrumors newbie

Hello guys, nice to be here. Il jump straight into it, my hard drive is busted , it's a HDS722020ALA330, now I have looked for a replacement but it says it's discontinued , I then found that a HD320000 would fit instead, but that's also discontinued , I hope someone can help me find a replacement. Anything that will fit and run ok without playing with the heat sensors. Thanks in advance guys

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Which model and year iMac do you have? Most any hard drive will work, they're quite standard really.

3. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

Mid to late 2007, I'm not 100% sure as I can't even boot up my imac to find out :( so any 3.5" hard drive will fit? I have been adviced to get a like for like to avoid fan problems

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Is it a 20" or 24" iMac?

5. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Okay, then your iMac is a little newer than you thought. I believe the 27" first arrived in October of 2009.

7. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway I can look by booting In a different mode?

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

You can look for the EMC number, usually on the bottom of the foot stand. It should be a four-digit number.

9. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

So you have a Model A1312 / Mid 2010 / 3.2 GHz Core i3 or 2.8 & 3.6 GHz Core i5 or 2.93 GHz Core i7.

Here is an awesome iFixit.com, step-by-step guide to replacing the HDD. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2390+Hard+Drive+Replacement/8919

Here is just one suggestion for a replacement drive from OWC. You can source the drives from anyplace you choose of course. But this one was selected on their site as being compatible with your model.

A 2TB HDD for $84, after a mail-in rebate.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Toshiba/DT01ACA200/

11. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great mate, is there any you know of that are more sourceable in the UK? Thanks for your help

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Sorry, I'm not familiar with any UK stores, but I'll ask someone I know over there.

13. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate, you have been a great help. I have been searching for this for weeks . Glad I found you eventually :)

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

No worries! We'll get you taken care of as you found the right place today! :)

Just keep an eye on this thread for another response for UK parts.

15. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

16. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, new drive ordered, hopefully il get it soon and the change over will go smoothly . Is there anything I can do about getting files and software off my busted one?

17. 5iMacs macrumors regular

It depends on how trashed the file system is on the drive. Maybe it's just the OS files so boot from a USB/Firewire drive and copy them off.

If the file system is so trashed that the volume will not mount in the Finder,
    DiskWarrior is amazing in this situation.

You boot from the CD and it will meticulously scour your drive for any recoverable files. Don't let it attempt to "repair" until you first recover everything you can to a separate volume. Prepare for it to take up to a day depending on the size and condition of your drive.

18. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry mate I'm a complete newb and that made no sense to me sorry :(
    It only happened after I updated my OS, mountain leopard I believe, after the update the whole imac just just went kaput :(

19. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

I did it guys :) I changed the hard drive, only thing is I get a flashing folder sign, white background and just this :( any advice guys?

Attached Files:

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

You now need to install the operating system.

21. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

All sorted mate, I finally have my mac back up and running, feels like such an achievement, all of which would not have been possible without your help , so thanks again :)

On another note, if you have any advice on recovering some of my old stuff from old drive, or a thread on here maybe, thank would be great :)

Thanks again mate

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Glad to help out!

To attempt to get some files from the old drive you can purchase a HDD enclosure and connect it as an external drive to the Mac and see if OS X can read the drive and then you can copy them over.

If you have access to a Windows PC, I may have another solution for you too.

23. Oddyse thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it might sound cheap but I don't really want to buy a HDD enclosure as I'd only be using it this one time.

Are there any cables maybe? Like a SATA to USB that might work?

I have access to another mac if this helps.

24. FreemanW macrumors 6502

You might see if Amazon UK or another outlet has one of these:

USB to IDE/SATA Adapter

. . . . or this Vantec

That Bytecc unit does not appear to be a complete package; whereas the Vantec shows all the parts you would need, power adapter, etc.

Basically you want a USB bridge device to connect your expired hard disk drive to your iMac and (hopefully) retrieve any data off of it.