hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ledgehammer, Aug 19, 2016.

1. ledgehammer macrumors newbie

ledgehammer

Hi,

I recently changed the hard drive in my macbook pro mid 2012 . After installation I erased the disk then attempted to restore via time machine. It ddidn't work and my system rebooted. I then entered disk utility again, realising I need to reinstall os first I re-erased the disk and left it when I went to work. I came back and it had froze so I rebooted it and now I can't even see the disk on disk utility.
    Guessing reerasing it has done something - any suggestions?
    Tom

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery. After selecting your wifi you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Then you will see the recovery screen. From there start Disk Utility and select the new drive and format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then from that same screen select restore and point to your TM disk as the source.

If you cannot see the disk in Disk Utility from recovery, you likely have a bad internal drive cable. Fairly common issue on these.

3. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

@ledgehammer Agree, When I changed the disk on a similar computer I had to buy a new cable. They go for $10-$15 online if I remember correct.

4. ledgehammer thread starter macrumors newbie

ledgehammer

5. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

Just replaced the one on my Mom's 2012 MBP. Super simple job and $45 well spent.