Hard Drive replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macgs, Dec 13, 2007.

1. macgs macrumors newbie

I have to get a new harddrive for my macbook because it's messed up. Just curious, when they replace it, what do they do with the old HD? Do I get to keep it? I have ACPP

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Don't bother paying anyone to replace the hard drive.

For the macbook, it is a user serviceable part, shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to do.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

^ Provided you have the right screwdrivers. That's by far the toughest part of the operation.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If the HD is a N/C service repair, they will replace the drive and you won't get to keep the old one.

If you purchase a new drive (now's a chance to put in a bigger one if you want) you can install it yourself as mentioned in the other posts. Here is a good tutorial on how to do so.

Please note that at the time of this posting, SuperDuper is not compatible with Leopard. You also can accomplish the task with the free trial version of SuperDuper if you have 10.4. If you have Leopard, I don't see why you couldn't use Carbon Copy to clone your old drive although I have never used it and the tutorial only explains the cloning part using SuperDuper.

-GDF

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

CCC is really easy. I have both it and SD, and I'm using CCC instead, as it's just more intuitive (plus free).