Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregf234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Ok, so I was trying to run Boot Camp Assistant earlier today. When I attempted to create a Windows partition, I got an error telling me to repair the hard drive. I read somewhere that in order to do this, I'd need to insert the 10.5 install disc and run Disk Utility from there. So, I insert the disc, the computer restarts, and now.. my desktop is as it was four months ago. I didn't tell it to do this. I would just say, "Well, I messed up. It's clearly backed itself up from what was on the portable hard drive because the contents of its internal hard drive has been lost," except the weird thing is, if I open Finder and look under Macintosh HD, everything is as it was a few minutes ago. My hard drive is still there. Yet my desktop is a backup. Yet if I look under Places and go to my username, Applications, Music, etc., it's the contents of my backup.

I know now that I shouldn't have messed with partitions without backing up again, but I did, and my recent files still exist, so how do I get things back to normal?

gregf234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Something of interest, my Desktop is listed as being under "Users/tyler", while if I go under Macintosh HD, the Desktop is in "Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/tyler". Is that normal? Has my computer just decided to not use its hard drive somehow? :confused:

gregf234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Upon further inspection, I'm pretty sure my computer has somehow booted directly from the external hard drive. I don't know how that's even possible, but it did. How do I make it not?

gregf234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Fixed. Went into System Preferences and changed the Startup Disk to Macintosh HD. Phew. I guess this thread can exist for anyone else who makes the same mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.