hard drive runs wild when I put to sleep??-Why

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fjs08, Dec 8, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have a 1 yr old MacBook Pro w OSX 10.5.1.

I boot it up at home, plugged in, and use it for about 90 minutes. When I leave, I put it to sleep and shut every thing else, like the monitor, etc down and pack it up. I make sure I "eject" any external hard drives, regular and Time Machine. When I get to the office, I replug it into an outlet, so the only time it's really on internal battery is for the trip from home to office, and reverse. I've noticed the past 2 days that when I get to the office and again, when I get home, the machine is hot as blazes and I can hear, what I think is the HD whirring away. I can hear it through my backpack, it's so loud. As soon as I plug it in, it "calms down," cools off and all is well. What's up??? And what should I do to avoid this????

Thanks.

Frank

2. eman macrumors 6502a

your macbook is not going to sleep all the way, would be my guess. You maybe risking your macbook to high internal temperatures (not good) while in backpack. I would suggest until you figure out what the problems is: Shut your macbook down, instead of letting it sleep or don't put in confined space, like your backpack and allow it to sleep..

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

humm, I did change my power monitor so Time Machine will work. I'll have to change the setting back when I eject the TM HD and see what happens. Thanks Frank

4. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but even if i eject all my externals and close the lid, the sleep is disrupted if i pull the USB cables out after the lid is closed. Always pull out all USB cables before sleep or shutting the lid.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>'m not sure if this is your problem or not, but even if i eject all my externals and close the lid, the sleep is disrupted if i pull the USB cables out after the lid is closed. Always pull out all USB cables before sleep or shutting the lid.<<

My problem with doing this is that I have the lid open to boot up the machine. I have my computer linked to an external monitor, so after it boots up, I put the machine to sleep, close the lid then wake it up so it appears on the external Cinema monitor. But I've done this literally forever. I've had Macs before this one and never had any problems with any of this. Only thing I can think of is Time Machine and how I have to set the power monitor so that the machine doesn't go to sleep on its own. Tomorrow, I may eject the TM external HD, then change the power settings back to what I had before TM????

Thanks.

Frank

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think I found a solution. It seems to be related to my Power Management (PM)with Time Machine (TM). Under System Preferences/Energy Saver, for TM, I uncheck the "Put the Hard Disks to Sleep Whenever Possible," slide the "computer to sleep" bar to Never, and the "Put the Display to Sleep" bar to 1 minute. It allows TM to function, but that is what seems to be causing my hard drive and heat problems. When I leave the house in the morning now, I eject the TM HD, check the "put the hard drive to sleep whenever possible" button, and slide both bars that refer to the computer and display above to 1 minutes. This has seemed to work the past few days.

Thanks.

Frank