Hard Drive Says it's full when it isn't!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moll2969, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Moll2969 macrumors newbie

Please help! I'm trying to get my iPhone working with my Macbook Pro, and I'm stuck because I don't have any hard drive space left. I have an 80 gb Hard Drive, and it says I have zero mb left. I can't do anything! I have added up all my space from my folders, and it only comes out to about 40gb. Everytime I try to restore from my iPhone I keep losing space as well, until just now I'm at zero! I have erased everything I can think of to free up space, and its still full. I have emptied my trash too. Please help!

2. Ant.honey macrumors regular

find and delete some caches. My Lightroom cache often gets to 40gigs.

3. Moll2969 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... sorry for the ignorance... how do I go about that?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Out of curiosity, could you right click on your hard drive in the finder and click get info and post a screenshot?

5. Moll2969 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not near the computer with the problem right now. Just trying to get some ideas for when I return to it. Once I'm near it, I can.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

The various browsers, safari/firefox/chrome/opera hold caches for web stuff. They can grow to quite large sizes. The method for emptying the caches depends on the individual browser, usually you click on the browser name at the top of the screen, then pick preferences and look for network/caches or similar. depends on the browser though.

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

8. Moll2969 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unless there's some hidden trash somewhere, yes... I have. I wish it was that easy :(

9. Moll2969 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I have attached a screen shot of my information?

I was able to clear out 6 gb by cleaning up my old iphone back-ups from itunes. I can't find it on the system where to delete them in the folder. I also erased all unnecessary applications. But I know there's still more out there!

Attached Files:

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

download disc inventory X from http://www.derlien.com/

I found it highly useful to identify stuff that is eating up space.

11. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

12. refurbished macrumors member

Personally I use DaisyDisk and I love it. I haven't tried Disk Inventory but DaisyDisk is really good.

13. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Just tried DaisyDisk's Demo, and it's pretty impressive. The major difference is that you can collect files you find that are taking up space on your hard drive using DaisyDisk, but I like that Disk Inventory color codes your files by type, so you can find files that are taking up a lot of room, but you have to delete them through finder.

DaisyDisk has a very nice UI though, and has been updated for Lion!

14. wrbros macrumors newbie

How to recover my old files from my HDD

You can either use the properties to see your hard disk or you can simply go to computer properties and then form there you can see the type and space available on the hard disk.I think you need to follow these steps to solve your problem and that is easy way of recoverin old files from your HDD.

Go to desktop and wright click on my computer.
    Select properties form the menu. System properties will be in front of you.
    Go to Hardware tab and then click on device manager.
    By clicking on properties you will see some devices shown in a list.
    You need to select disk drive.

Thank you

For additional help you can see here <a href="http://www.techyv.com/questions/transfer-iphone-contacts-my-imac" target="_blank">How to recover my old files from my HD| Techyv.com</a>

15. Sirolway macrumors 6502

There must be a Mac equivalent of ccleaner for Windows - it automatically frees disk space by clearing out caches etc.

In fact piriform have a beta version of ccleaner for Mac , so you could give that a go

That being said .... perhaps it's time for a bigger hard disk or ... an SSD (which should give you a considerable speed boost too)

Of course, that would mean reinstalling the OS, which may be more than you want to get involved in

16. PaulyD macrumors 6502

That is for Windows and in NO way related to what the OP asked on a long dead thread