Hard drive search

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade, Apr 6, 2010.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

Can someone please give me the specifics on a 3.5 internal hard drive for my iMac G5 (17") running Leopard.

My old HD was getting very full so I decided to replace it. I bought a Seagate 3.5 1TB at Staples ("good for PC or Mac"), brought it home, ripped into my iMac, removed the old HD and opened the new Seagate. Turns out it was for tower computers only. Took it back to Staples, where I learned that iMac HDs are Apple specific.

Called the local Apple store. Was told that they didn't carry HDs in stock but I could schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar and someone there could determine what I need.

I know what I need -- a new HD --I just don't know where to get one or order it online because descriptions from online suppliers are not generous with the knowledge about what works with what.

Never thought it would be so frustrating just to buy a replacement drive.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't need "Apple" hard drive... Any 3.5" SATA (=tower HD) drive will work, though there might be a capacity limit of ~500GB if I recall correctly.

Why didn't that Seagate work?

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I think I understand. The old drive had an aluminum band around it held on by hex screws. That band had to be removed and put on the Seagate since it has a connection in the rear that is not on the Seagate. I was putting things back together and the rear connection came loose on the computer end (as opposed to the HD end) and I'm trying to figure out where it goes. Is it possible bothends of that came are connected to the rear of the HD? Does anyone know where I can find a schematic of the HD as it should be when properly attached?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, guys, I figured it out. Had to remove the memory boards to find the small connector for one end of the cable. The other end goes onto the end of the HD.