Hard drive serial number from old hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kitkat6060, Sep 24, 2012.

1. kitkat6060 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this, not sure which category this would go under...

My iMac hard drive recently failed and so I used target disk mode to save my files and then did a once zero pass erase on it before taking it to the Apple store to get replaced.

After a discussion, I was authorised to keep my old hard drive - I have now got my iMac and its new hard drive running, and also my old hard drive in a box.

Just wondering if there's a way to check if this is actually my old hard drive? Is there a way on my time machine or cloned hard drive backup to check what the old system settings or something were so I could compare serial numbers or something to that effect?

Many thanks in advance!

K

2. doctor-don macrumors 65816

First, perhaps you saved as PDF your System Profiler details (About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware > Serial-ATA). That would have the details for any and all hard drives.

Second, every time you make a major change to your system (new hard drive, new OS), you should save as PDF your system details. You generate the PDF by selecting Print under the File menu in System Profiler. It takes a longer time to generate the file while all the software is examined. Then select PDF and Save As PDF... and select where you want the PDF saved. Give it a name that includes the date, and you will have a record for reference at some later time. Mine took about 10 seconds to print about 400 pages of PDF.

3. kitkat6060 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh. Nope didn't do that, didn't know you could! I will from now on though!
    Is there any other way for people whose hard drives failed etc and have no way to access that info first hand?
    K