Hard Drive setup for applications folder

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Raw-m, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Raw-m macrumors newbie

Hello

I've just bought a couple of 1Tb Seagate HDs. I've been looking around and good advise for setting them up is on the macgurus.com website where one drive holds the OS, the other holds the Users home (and each are backed up to the other).

It's recommended that the Applications folder is also added to the second Users drive for all none System/Apple apps - especially for "applications that use large and separate data storage". Most of my photos and motion graphics work will be in my Users directory so do you think there is milage to be had installing my apps on the second drive, or should I just leave them where they are, with the system?

..or.. can anyone else recommend at setup: 2x1Tb drive, 1x320gb (which I was going to use as a scratch disc (or Time Machine as I haven't yet padded out my 1TB!))

Hope that makes sense!!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Seriously.. You don't need to mess about with that ..hit. if you need security for a small system, set up your drives for software RAID Mirror. Leopard can handle this without a problem.

Alternatively, if your more of a productive person and down town equal lost of profits invest in a raid card that supports either raid 5 or 6.

Currently, this is my setup...
    I have 1TB WDC Black (was 750Gb Seagate 7200.11) for the OS, home and applications installed in the lower optical bay, connected to the odd_sata ports on the logicboard. I've stripped the OS from all the useless applications which I have no uses for.. I don't make any backups of this, since 99% of everything is already on DVD (application installers), other 1% are bookmarks and application configs, that's stored on a 16Gb stick.

[​IMG]

There's another four 1TB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 drives arranged as an internal RAID 5 configuration for speed and redundancy, this is used as my scratch disk, for media work. In all there's about 3TB worth of usable space. Gonna be ditching the Apple Raid Card in favour of something more expandable soon...