Hard drive shows full, but it's not (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by escapist13, Jun 5, 2008.

1. escapist13 macrumors newbie

Finder seems to think my 500 GB drive only has 58 MB free and won't let me put any more large files on it. However, there is only 356 GB worth of data on the drive (confirmed first by counting, then using Disk Inventory X software).

I'm pretty sure this happened in one instant within the past couple of days. Disk utility seems to think everything is fine.

Also, even when I delete gigs and gigs of data, it still reports the same space available.

What happened and how do I make it report the volume correctly so I can use all the space?

Thanks for any help.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Can you provide what type of Mac do you have, OS, internal vs. external drive, if external brand, etc.

3. escapist13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, thanks for the response.

I have an 8-core Mac Pro running 10.5.3. It's an internal SATA drive in the second slot that has been running perfect for months until now.

Come to think of it, this could have happened after the recent update(?).

4. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Could it be the Trash? I ask because my 2nd HDD showed 40GB used and it was empty. I emptied the trash, and all 40GB came back.

I figured that the trash would be on my primary HDD, but it was on my 2nd somehow.

5. escapist13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I feel dumb, you're spot on, Decrepit. (wish I could delete this thread!)

I'm new to Mac and thought apple-delete bypassed the trash. Is there another shortcut for this?

6. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

To delete a file(s) with a confirmation message, click

Shift, Command (Apple button), and delete and press okay.

Command (apple button) and delete just puts the item in the trash, then you do the shift, command, delete to empty the trash. Note (this deletes all of the items, not just the one)

7. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Glad it worked. I learned this myself. Last night. :)

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater