hard drive space and swapfile

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furcalchick, Aug 23, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i've been having a slight problem with my hard drive the past two days, and i want to know how to approach it. before this all started, i had about 41.5 gigs free on my hard drive, now i'm down to 39 gigs, and i've hardly downloaded anything the past two days (like 100 mb of stuff). i just found out there are a bunch of swapfiles in my private folder taking up over 2gb of space which were created just today, and i suspect was the reason why my hard drive was shrinking. also, i've been hearing a few clicks, presumably from the hard drive (not alot of clicking, just here and there), and i'm hoping my hard drive isn't going bad already (this is a nine month old mac). i've backed up my hard drive in the past week, so i won't lose too much if the stuff crashes now, but i'm more worried about these swapfiles, where are they coming from and how to get rid of them. thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Are they still there / still the same size after a restart?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't get rid of them. They're simply OSX doing its thing - using the hard drive as virtual memory. You'd get the same thing in Windows, and it's normal.

As for the clicking, that can sometimes be a sign of imminent disk failure (but not always). Use Disk Utility to verify your drive. :)

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

okay it's back to normal

it's back to the 42 gig i had after i restarted. that was weird though.

i'm still learning the mac though...heh heh. i don't know how i would make it without the loving family here at this site.:)