Hard Drive Space Dramatically Changing w/ No Activity

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by johnnyindia, Feb 21, 2012.

1. johnnyindia macrumors member

Jun 4, 2010
    I got a message today while on my computer saying "your disk is almost full". I was surprised to see such low space (75MB). I deleted a bunch of gigs of movies etc, some apps...

since then, my counter keeps changing dramatically, without any activity. it will say 15GB free, then 2 min later 6GB free, etc. Eventually goes back to low MB.

I tried to install a version of photoshop CS5 from a friend the other day with a crack, and it didn't work. deleted photoshop, but wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Could this also have anything to do with my MAIL program? I noticed using OmniSweeper that I have about 50GB of mail saved on the computer, and perhaps using the MAIL program is causing this?

2. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Could be lots of things. Start off by restarting and see if that changes anyting as it may be some sort of abnormal high virtual RAM usage.

You could also try setting Mail to not store attachments on your mac if that is taking up a big amount!
  3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2011
  4. jmthigpen macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    most likely this, check your HD space and see if there are any "backups"