Hard drive space going down when I am connected to the internet.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DrumMoviePro, Mar 16, 2011.

1. DrumMoviePro macrumors newbie

So, when I turn the AirPort on on my MacBook Pro you can see the hard drive space go down on the bottom of a finder window. When I turn AirPort off the the GB available on the hard drive stays the same. I'm not downloading anything. that I know of. Is some virus downloading in the background that I can't control? I did a full scan with VirusBarrier Express and it says that there are no infected files on the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

When you turn Airport on, are you connecting to a network? If so, try connecting to a different network (Starbucks, etc) and also try turning it on and not connecting. See if you are getting different results.

3. simsaladimbamba

How much MB or GB are we talking about?
    Btw, surfing the net does consume HDD or SSD storage space, as there are temporary files stored on your computer.
    Btw, regarding viruses:
    You can also take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. DrumMoviePro, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

DrumMoviePro thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my computer was on all day. It started with about 220GB and went down to 200GB. and I have not created any new documents.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and on the System Memory tab at the bottom, check to see if your "Page outs" and "Swap used" are excessive.
    Also, try clearing your cache on your browser.
    Install Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective to see how space is being used on your drive.

6. DrumMoviePro thread starter macrumors newbie

The page outs and swap used remain at zero.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What about the other two suggestions?

8. DrumMoviePro thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Machine

Is it possible to go back in time a few days with time machine and restore the whole hard drive? (not just one file.) I haven't created any important documents in the last few days and I think that might be a solution. or do you think the problem would still happen?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can certainly do that. Only by trying it will you know if the problem recurs.

10. simsaladimbamba

Before doing that, as it takes quite some time, why not scan your HDD for used storage space, as GGJstudios and I recommended? We even included links to some free applications to do that for you.
    Maybe you could find the culprit that way, and it will be faster than reinstalling Mac OS X from a TM backup.

11. DrumMoviePro thread starter macrumors newbie

mail?

I ran Disk Inventory X and it shows that I have 37GB of stuff in my mail recovered messages folder. So I went to the folder in the finder and there are 666 recovered messages in the folder. All of them are the same email. This email had a picture attachment that was to large to sent so I just didn't send it. Is this just a massive mail issue? I posted some screenshots. I hope you can view them.

ScreenShots:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/thomas123drum/MacMailError#

12. DrumMoviePro thread starter macrumors newbie

Mail issue?

I ran Disk Inventory X and it shows that I have 37GB of stuff in my mail recovered messages folder. So I went to the folder in the finder and there are 666 recovered messages in the folder. All of them are the same email. This email had a picture attachment that was to large to sent so I just didn't send it. Is this just a massive mail issue? I posted some screenshots. I hope you can view them.
    So, before I had mail opened in the background and the HDD space was going down. Now I have mail closed with the airport on and the HHD is staying the same.

ScreenShots:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/thomas1.../MacMailError#

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Can you not go back in to Mail and delete this email ?

Should be easy to find !!

14. DrumMoviePro thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted the 667 recovered emails and it seems to be a little better but the amount of HDD space is still changing. it went from 246.28GB to 246.24 to 246.21 to 246.18 and back up to 246.21. There are no more recovered files in mail and I haven't created or deleted any documents.

15. simsaladimbamba

There are still temporary files created by the system, which can accumulate to 40MB or even more. Why do you monitor those slight variances that closely?

If you are still worried, you could print your process list in Activity Monitor (select SHOW ALL PROCESSES and sort by Process Name) and attach it to your post and someone could point out a faulty process, if one exists.