Hard drive space incorrectly reported?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dmk1974, Feb 7, 2012.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

On my 2011 13" MBA, I see a pretty big disparity in how much space I have on my machine. In the drive "Info" it says I am using 46 GB. In the "About this Mac" storage section, I am using about 74 GB. When I created a fresh TimeMachine backup, it was about 61 GB.

Do I have some cache or something somewhere? My trash bin is empty. Attached are screen shots. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For space issues, there are a few things you can try:

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its the backups

they only show inthe about this mac screen and not when your command I the driver in finder

to remove backups do a time machine backup or disable time machines entirely

4. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Thanks! I didn't know that TimeMachine backed up locally to the same drive (seems kinda stupid?). I frequently connect my external USB drive for the TM backups anyway.

I ran that script and then toggled TimeMachine off then back on. My "About this Mac" space changed drastically and basically matched the drive info. THANKS!!!

Attached Files:

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

np it is kinda stupid but in a way they local snapshots for timemachine probably makes the backup faster becasue its already saved all the changes since the last backup locally