Hard drive space on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hatcher146, Aug 16, 2009.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

I just received my new MacBook Pro. It came with 250 gb of hd space. I had to do an erase and install on it because of an issue that came up while using the migrant assistant.

So, after doing the erase/install it says that I only have 216 gb of space left? And thats without the applications CD that i have to put in which will be about 4 gb.

Am i missing something? Seems like way too much. I believe when i first turned the computer on before doing the erase/install it had about 235?

Any help is appreciated!

2. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I don't know what to tell you my macbook pro is the 160 gig model and out of the package it only had 127 gigs of space left... so we are in the same boat! :D

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's the way the drive is formatted. Drive manufacturers advertise a HDD as having 1000MB per GB. Software manufacturers specify that there is 1024MB per GB. So the software reads a 250GB drive as 235GB. You haven't "lost space", it's just the way the OS is reading the drive. You haven't "lost" 15GB of your HDD's space, it's just that system is reading each GB as 1024MB instead of as 1000MB. Perfectly normal, OS X isn't the only OS that does it, Windows does as well. In fact, the next version of OS X changes this so that it uses the base 10 counting system (basically where 1000MB = 1GB), which should stop this confusion with new buyers.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Run monolingual to remove some language packs. That will decrease some space used.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

sounds about right.

OSX usually on a clean installation/blank install is roughly 16GB in weight.

a general 250gb drive formats to 232GB under OSX.

So you are good to go.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In Snow Leopard, Apple plans to address this issue by counting in the incorrect base 10.

7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

How is base 10 incorrect? Sure it'll be annoying sometimes with applications that still count in base 2 and windows, but the hard drives manufacturers have been reporting base 10 for years, only seems right for the OSes to do the same.

8. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Well you learn something new everyday! Thanks for clearing that up guys!

9. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Awesome tip.

10. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Perfectly explained, lots of people think they have been mis-sold a drive when they first see it.