Hard drive space still used after formatting

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by steverocks86, Oct 25, 2011.

1. steverocks86 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've just formatted an old iBook G4 hard drive using disc utility but even though it appears blank when I mount the volume, disc utility is saying there is 155mb being used on the disc (total capacity 40gb).

The iBook itself doesn't work but the hard drive is still accessible through target mode.

I'm looking to recycle the iBook so I want to make sure personal info is erased.

I first formatted using the Erase function in disc utility, then with Erase Free Space. When I click on the drive itself it is blank, ie no files or folders in the Finder window.

After reading some other posts in the forum I turned on view hidden folders using Houdini, which showed a few hidden folders (.fseventsd, .Trashes, .TemporaryItems, .spotlight-v100) but these were only taking up ~500kb.

So why is there still 155mb there after all that? Is it data used to access the hard drive or is it my own? If so, any way to erase?

Any thoughts are welcome.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The small about remaining is a part of the HFS+ filesystem. It is perfectly normal and does not contain any personal information if the drive was formatted.