hard drive speed test?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by osin, Jul 12, 2008.

1. osin macrumors 6502

recently I bought WD6400AAKS hard drive. I made to partitions (1st for OS and applications, 2nd one for photo files). I also did fresh OS install and loaded basic applications. Strangely I didn't notice any speed boost while booting and to be honest I feel like all applications (photoshop for example) are also starting much slower than on original hdd.

Is there any way to test hard drive if it performs as it should be?

I also have 2 more older drives installed. is it possible that one of them would slow the system down?

2. big dainjerus macrumors regular

I did the exact same thing. You might have a defective drive. Run a hardware test by holding down "D" when you boot up. It may take a while but it told me it found a problem and gave me an error code. I called OWC with the code and they told me it was a bad drive and I sent it back. And listen to Rush they are the best band on the planet.

3. osin thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your response
    I did perform the hardware test and there were no problems found.
    I did the standard test though - it took about 50 minutes to complete.
    Should I run the extended one?

4. big dainjerus macrumors regular

5. StewartRoonie macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just took SpinRite. It is a great tool for testing and recovery. SpinRite is a great product, and it's saved me many times. It works on just about everything, even flash drives, though the creator does not recommend that because of limited write cycles to flash drives. If SpinRite is not used until after a crash, it skillfully picks up all the pieces, recovers your data, and puts everything back together again. SpinRite is the most capable, thorough, and reliable utility that has ever been created for the long term maintenance, recovery, and repair of mass storage systems. I hope this helps a lot.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Except for the fact that SpinRite is a PC application with no Mac version- and from everything I have seen it will not run correctly on BootCamp, Parallels or Fusion to attempt to check Mac formatted drives.