hard drive spinning

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PrePressAcrobat, Mar 17, 2012.

1. PrePressAcrobat macrumors member

Does anyone know what I might do about my drive spinning and spinning no matter what I do? It seems if I restart the machine - it acts properly for a very short time
    but soon, it starts spinning all the time and will not stop even if I put the machine to sleep. It is all up to date.
    It, obviously, gets very hot - and spins loudly.
    If I restart or shut down - the drive will stop.

MSD

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hard drives are always supposed to spin (if it doesn't you're in trouble or your computer went to sleep).

Are you talking just spinning? Or are you talking accessing the disk? If you are getting constant disk access it *could* (but not always) signal that you need more ram.

3. PrePressAcrobat thread starter macrumors member

-------

No - it always spins even when put to sleep.
    Sometimes - even asleep - it spins in some sort of "super turbo" mode
    like it is about to fly out of the machine.

MSD

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That means you sleep isn't working. You have something like insomniax running?
    A drive has no turbo mode it can spin on one speed and one only. I think you have a Notebook that just doesn't enter sleep correctly and when you close the lid the fans spin faster because they have poor access to fresh air.

What you hear as some sort of turbo must be the fans. A hdd can never keep spinning when a notebook is in standby because it gets no power. If something spins your notebook doesn't sleep.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

6. PrePressAcrobat thread starter macrumors member

---------

The Power Settings are set up just fine.
    Maybe it is the fans running hard
    but
    why after the thing has been asleep for 20 or more minutes
    would it be to hot to place on my lap
    without burning my leg?

MSD

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is why. It is not going to sleep. If it were going to sleep (correctly), there would not be any noise.

8. frank.deale macrumors regular

Is the light in the front right of your computer pulsing? If it is, then it is asleep, and you shouldn't hear any noise. If it is off, and the computer is powered on, it is not asleep. If it is constant on, it is not asleep.

9. PrePressAcrobat thread starter macrumors member

-----

Most times I notice the light pulsing - especially at night when it is bright enough to notice.
    But, like this morning it should have been asleep, it was a solid light
    and the case was hot - after overnight.

In any case - what would one do about their MBP not properly going to sleep on occasion?

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you don't have any software that keeps it form entering sleep there must be something that wakes it.
    If an external display is a attached just about anything will make it enter clamshell mode. The display may be turned off but the notebook doesn't know it a display port is a one way street.

Bluetooth devices or network wake over LAN may also be the cause.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1776

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Go to power setting options and see if you have enabled "wake for LAN access". Is your hard drive the factory hard drive or something else?

12. PrePressAcrobat thread starter macrumors member

-----
    Wake for LAN is off
    Not the original drive - but this would happen before I swapped it out.
    I reset the "System Management Controller" (SMC) last night.
    This morning the light was NOT pulsing but it was on solid "dim" - not "bright" as before. The drive was spinning. I read about the PRAM reset - but it does not seem like that should address this issue.
    Since the SMC reset - I have not heard the fans spin wildly out of control.
    I am happier now - but I know I will get to the bottom of it sooner or later.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Some aftermarket hard drives had sleep issues but they were different than the one you seem to have. I figured I'd ask in case of was possibly that. I was under the impression that when the computer is asleep, the LED on the side will dim up and down as if it was actually animating breathing/snoring. Is the light dimming or is it actually at one fixed brightness level that is just dimmer than normal?

14. PrePressAcrobat thread starter macrumors member

--
    It is either:
    on...solid bright
    on...solid dim
    pulsating dim to bright to dim

I never can anticipate what it will be when I put it to sleep OR shut the lid

But the fans seem to be operating properly now

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It should be pulsating from bright to dim when the top lid is closed. If it is staying bright, that means it is not going to sleep. Someone else here who knows more than me may be able to explain why.