Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floater_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
I'm having a very annoying problem. I have a "Macintosh HD" icon on my desktop and it shows the amount of free space left as I've enabled it in the finder>view options>show item info.

But the problem is, no matter what I do, the stats on the HD say I have 15.01 GB free. When I click Command-I, I have 21 GB free. Every time I Command-I, the free space is correct, but finder's "show item info" on my desktop HD doesn't show the correct information.

I've repaired permissions and all, and i'm not sure what to do anymore

If anyone knows how to solve this please help, much appreciated :)

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
john1123 said:
i have the same problem!

any help would be apreciated!

I think you might have to log out and login or simply restart the computer to get the display working correctly... I don't think the GB counter updates automatically. ;)

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Billicus said:
I think you might have to log out and login or simply restart the computer to get the display working correctly... I don't think the GB counter updates automatically. ;)

actually it works with my ipod... kind of. it will update when i transfer a file to the ipod. but it won't update when i delete something - not until i transfer something again :confused: i don't know if that made sense.. its 4am right now...

the hd info isn't updating at all however...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
When something in the Finder refuses to update, I always try these 5 things in this order:

1. Get Info on the item in question.
2. Turn the item display off then back on.
3. Force Quit the Finder.
4. Log out and back in.
5. Restart.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
wrldwzrd89 said:
When something in the Finder refuses to update, I always try these 5 things in this order:

1. Get Info on the item in question.
2. Turn the item display off then back on.
3. Force Quit the Finder.
4. Log out and back in.
5. Restart.

Get info does not update the display, however the other ones do. It's just a pain to have to relaunch the finder everytime I want to see my remaining HD space. Get info would be quicker but the point of the 'show item info' is for users to see how much free space they have at a glance.

I was hoping there was a small app that updates the values every few seconds. I tried finder refresher but that doesn't work.

Does anyone else have this problem?!?

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
Did you restart?

I've had to do that sometimes, like when I back up and clean out my iPhoto files.

If you're running Konfabulator, I believe there are several widgets that will do what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.