Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Am I the only one that finds that the new MBP has a much more sensitive motion sensor in the hard drive or something? I find it locks up for almost no reason very often. Or is the hard drive screwed in some way?

Does this happen to you? Simply lifting the computer somewhat quickly triggers the hard drive to lock. My old MBPs never did that (and I've had maybe 5 different models).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd have thought the SMS would require a proper shake, at least a few G's before locking the hard drive.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
My MacBook Alu does this too. Could it be that the unibody stiffness transmits movement more than the previous more flexible chassis?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
My MacBook Alu does this too. Could it be that the unibody stiffness transmits movement more than the previous more flexible chassis?

Haha, you think the previous generations were made out of paper or something?!

topcash

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
yeah its normal, but I think it is too sensitive also

is there a way to turn down the sensitive ?
tracker.gif

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I was never able to find something to do it, I was only able to find out how to disable the motion sensor, which prolly isnt a good thing either.

Hey I would actually like to know how to do this! If I drop my laptop, I'll have bigger things to worry about than lost data so I don't mind disabling it.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Hey I would actually like to know how to do this! If I drop my laptop, I'll have bigger things to worry about than lost data so I don't mind disabling it.

You have bigger things to worry about than lost data? Hardware can be replaced, data can not. Here's hoping you have a reliable and up-to-date back-up solution.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
You have bigger things to worry about than lost data? Hardware can be replaced, data can not. Here's hoping you have a reliable and up-to-date back-up solution.

Yes I do.

Don't most hard drives not have this system anyway? I mean honestly at the slightest quick movement I hear a big click from the hard drive. It's kind of ridiculous that it would do that, it's not like it's in free fall or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.